Acupuncture has evolved from the ancient art of placing needles into special locations on the body, to alleviate pain and increase the recovery rate and resistance to disease. It is a system of healing which has been practiced by the Chinese and other Eastern cultures for thousands of years and may be used to treat a wide variety of illnesses.
Acupuncture is used as an adjunct to conventional veterinary medicine. Specific diseases that may be treated using acupuncture in cats include:
• Chronic pain – especially due to arthritis
• Urinary and faecal incontinence
• Chronic unresolved diarrhoea or constipation
• Immune dysfunction
• Chronic breathing problems – feline asthma/bronchitis
• Stress related disease, such as over grooming, inappropriate urination or aggression.
Acupuncture is normally well tolerated by cats and many go to sleep during their treatment!